Friday 7 April 2017

STM 1.2 - mastery of onself - human needs

Next on the agenda is to talk about the paradox of the 6 human needs (in the first 4 stages the needs conflict each other).
  1. need for certainty - so that we have all the basic needs (job, house, home)
  2. need for variety - to keep us stimulated
  3. need for significance - to be seen as successful/unique 
  4. need for community - to belong
  5. need for growth - to develop
  6. need for contribution - to care, give and support others
M argues that if we let one of the first four human needs take priority then it will cost us in happiness. The need for certainty means we will not be able to take risks and will be striving to control all aspects of life which cannot be controlled. The need for variety can tire us out, constantly seeking new things to entertain us without reaching any sense of fulfilment. The need for significance can mean that we never feel successful, as we are so dependent on others praise and there will always be someone better than us, the need for community means that we may never fully develop and will become very dependent on fitting in. 


M encourages us to strive for growth, take our own path, do not compare ourselves for others or put to much weight on grades, scores and achievements - instead valuing the knowledge we are gaining.


Now I am very guilty of pushing myself too hard - hence my mental breakdown before I met Mr T. Since then I have tried very hard to reduce my need for significance, but I think it will always be a bit of a struggle for me as it is my natural tendency. Mr T has made me feel like I belong, and I am very grateful to him for that. The nice thing about working with Sofie is that she is pushing me towards the need for growth.


M challenges us to some questions: Here are my answers:


What are your ways to get certainty? uncertainty?
In order to get certainty I have avoided moving city, I keep a close group of friends around myself, I have worked in the same office for nearly 10 years, and I check my bank balance almost obsessively to make sure I have some savings. Apparently I like certainty


and for uncertainty - I always have a variety of different activities to do with a large base of friends to do them with. I take up new sports, move jobs within the company. I guess this is a safe amount of variety for me. Oooo and I buy hoof boots!


What are the ways you get significance? Love and connection?
I write a blog - but as I don't expect anyone to read it, or tell people about it I suspect it isn't really about significance for me. Its more like a journal. I do post lots of things on fb, sign up to groups, my fav being the haflinger group as everyone is so kind and supportive there. I am addicted to spending time with my friends, I need their reassurance.


How do you get a sense of growth? contribution?
Well there is the ST Mastery course for one, my job is also always a constant learning curve which I really like. I am currently teaching my friends to rock climb - which I like more than actually rock climbing, so I guess that is contribution. And of course there is this blog - which is a growth contribution thing.


Of the 6 human needs, which two have you been valuing most?
ooo tricky... um probably certainty and connection - though as discussed my natural tendency is significance.


What are the consequences of valuing those needs in that order?
I have a very comfortable life, I can afford my two horses - just, and I live in a lovely community of supportive friends. I guess if you were going to look at the costs of those needs it is that I don't often challenge myself. In the horse world I do not compete, my riding has not really progressed in years I am still doing the same things I did when I was 14 (well less now but that is due to pony lamness... but had my prioritise been different I might have put Tonto down, abandoned Sofie and purchased a working horse.


What do your top 2 needs need to be to feel more empowered?
Growth, I guess it has to be growth if I am going to get out of my horse rut, and I think I would still like to keep connection as my second top need, as it is the one that brings me most happiness. So I suppose I need to try and let some stuff go and stop worrying so much about keeping certainty in my life. This I am going to find tricky.



No comments:

Post a Comment