Tuesday 7 June 2016

Track system

Since remedial farriery did not help Sofie I am now even more determined to rehab her barefoot. I've been campaigning to send her to Rockley Farm - but unfortunately the insurance company will not pay so for now I am stuck.

Whilst I continue to battle the insurance company/raise money for treatment, I thought I could start some rehab at home. This entails taking off the shoes, getting serious about diet, and starting to work her feet.

I brilliant way of achieving these aims is to set up a track system. I had my first stab at it today, but I ran out of electric fencing so I think I will need to improve the track at a later stage by fencing more off. The idea of the track is to encourage the horses to move and limit their consumption of rich grass.

I also plan on putting in some different surfaces such as pea gravel to encourage her feet to toughen up.

No comments:

Post a Comment