Monday 8 June 2015

Pyford spring/summer show 2015



When I was a child we would annually attend the Pyford saddle club open show. For me it was an event akin to Easter - happened every year and was guaranteed fun. I have very found memories of their lovely commentator cheering me a 10 year old me and a 30 year old Frodo round the ring, I believe we won minimums jumping on our first outing back in 1997. The cup still has pride of place on my windowsill. Mr T did a couple of rounds in his time and won a few rosettes, I have these stored in a box somewhere, though I have too many to remember when and how we won them.

Needless to say I was very keen to take Lady Sof to Pyford this year.

When we arrived I was delighted to hear the same chap commentating on the show jumping. He sounds like a benevolent old school RAF pilot. Lead reign jumping was first up and it was great to hear him encourage horse, rider and mum:
Mums over but Buttons has had second thoughts. Never mind have another go. Round they come again, keep kicking Katie. Hurray all three are over, well done Buttons, give mum a cheer, isn't she doing well.
Pyford has a wonderfully welcoming atmosphere, it is a great place to start your showing career. So it was very fitting that Pyford was Sofie and I's first show.

 I had done a small practice with Sofie in the jumping field at home in the week leading up to the show. She loves her jumping, and whilst we had no trouble jumping the fences, containing her between jumps was another matter. As soon as she saw the jumps she got excited and she celebrated every fence she cleared by tucking her head to her chest and bucking triumphantly. She also insists on doing everything at 100 mph. This horse knows how to ride a jump off. Unfortunately her jockey is a bit rusty on the jumping front and would much rather a more gentle round. As usual I am going to have to catch up to Sofie's standard.

She behaved beautifully in all her classes. In the ridden coloured she came 4th, having done a lovely little show and behaving impeccably. I think she would have done better had I had the right gear - double bridle and no saddle cloth. In the in-hand foreign breed she came second - pipped by a miniature pony (she was better in my eyes but I am biased). In the clear round we missed one fence. Mainly this was a pilot error, the course was very tight and Sofie likes to go fast, I couldn't keep up with her so missed a turn. Still she was actually very well behaved as she stopped when I asked her to and slowed down for me to right her saddle after it slipped sideways (it too was unable to cope with her barrel racing turns).

Here are some pics from the official photographer. Can't decide which one to buy atm.






In fact the day would have been perfect had Sofie not trodden on my foot that morning. I think she has broken two of my toes. This made competing fairly painful for me, especially in the running section of the in-hand class. Still no pain no gain.
Swollen bruised unhappy toes 
A few days later when the bruise  came out

I should also mentioned that I also lost her into the crowd at one point. This was mainly my fault. I know now that Sofie is not a horse you can rush. If you let her do things in her own time she will behave impeccably, if you rush her she will through her toys out the pram. I know that to lead her into the trailer I should give her time to have a good look first. On the way out, she was a little hesitant to load, and I got comments from others suggesting I should push her. I stood my ground and said just give her time but I think their comments niggled at me. Unfortunately I was not as patient with her on the way home (I guess a sore foot and others disapproval made me hurry). When she hesitated I suggested my friend clapped her hands behind Sof whilst I gave her a tug on the lead rope. Mistake. Sofie reacted by turning round and sodding off into the show ground. That was a Haffy f**k you response. Sheepishly I had to retrieve her from a child who caught her. This time round I went gently with her, but she was now put-out so stubbornly stood on the ramp not moving. I swapped with my friend, giving her the head end and me gently ushering her in. Again she resented the pressure so turned to bugger off. This time however I refused to get out of her way, and after a short stand off she turned and went into the trailer. This might be something I have to practice in the future.

But loading aside, she was perfect. I hope we have many more days out to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment