Monday 14 March 2016

Uphill battle

Trying to start Sofies rehab treatment is proving to be an uphill struggle. Endless nagging to get my farrier to contact my vet. Zero help from the livery yard in setting up restricted turn out (actually that is not entirely fair, they have said I can borrow one of their ponies to keep Sofie company and offered electric tape, though no one could find it when I went to ask). And friends and family who, whilst being sympathetic ultimately want me to walk away for my own good. I'm too afraid to even talk to Nick about it - and he as made it very clear he doesn't want me to in any case.

And to make matters a bit worse - if they were not already - Sofies owners have made it very clear they do not want her back, and will put her down if she is permanently out of action.

Rehoming her is nigh on impossible, and if I keep her I don't think Nick will ever forgive me.

So it looks like I am stuck with a lovely, if broken horse, and spinsterhood. I can't let someone shoot Sofie in the head just because she can't trot in circles!

But before I plummet into despair at my upcoming 'crazy spinster with horses' status I should at least try to get Sof better and/or rehomed.

I'm getting frustrated at the lack of progress with remedial farriery, but my farrier assures me today that he has finally talked to the vet and has the required shoes on order for us. In the mean time I have made progress on the restricted turn out front. I bought an 'eclectic fence starter kit' at great expense and have made a pen for Sofie and her friend Flossy in the corner of their current field. The corner is reasonably dry and they can still see their field buddies and chat up the boys next door so I hoped they would be reasonably happy. The pen is also near the yard for running up hay and water.

I was a bit worried about catching Flossy, who is notoriously skittish. Finally I have had some good fortune in that all the mares got nosey when I was unpacking and setting up my electric fencing, and were busy sifting though the cardboard box as soon as my back was turned (obviously this was started by Sof and then the others joined in). They were so busy with the box that I managed to set up the fencing around them and then just had to remove the ponies I didn't want from my pen.

Sof and Flossy were furious when they realised I had duped them and galloped around the enclosure - perhaps I should have made it smaller - however there mood soon changed when I presented their haynets and treatball. They looked fairly smug eating their hay whilst their companions looked on enviously from the other side of the new fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment