Friday 25 September 2020

Unlikely Champions

Another retrospective post. This time about the Newlands riding club championship weekend on the 13th September.

In the continuation of live for the day summer of fun I entered me and Sof into the 2ft 3 class. I almost immediately regretted it. I haven't jumped Sofie a single fence in.... well actually baring a small twig on one hack this summer I haven't actually jumped her since 2015. The class was titled 'novice jumping' which seemed to fit the bill, and I used to jump 2ft 3 without blinking an eye as a child, but as soon as I entered a wave of anxiety took hold. 

Sof had a little jumping lesson with her summer sharer a week prior, mainly to establish if they would be up for taking her to said show. However Sofies overwhelming enthusiasm made her sharer decide against it. This in hindsight I should have taken as a sign. 

Never the less I stuck to my mantra live for today and entered anyway. The day before I tried to steal myself to jump a log, but whoosed out! The lovely Vicki and Sofies current bestie Annie rode with us to the show. I was very grateful for their company as it distracted me from my nerves.

The show was very quiet as it turned out, and when I arrived it turned out I was one of only two competitors and was able to go straight away if I wanted. No time like the present, course quickly walked and then we went for a warm up jump - DEAR LORD I NEARLY FELL OFF!

OK um, so lets go straight into the ring before I bottle it. In my haste I ended up starting before the bell. on hearing the bell Sofie pulled up muttering - 'all we had to do was not get eliminated to get placed and you couldn't even manage that!' but I wasn't listening so pushed her on to complete the course. It was a bit frantic, Sofie charged at the fences whilst I desperately tried to slow her down/steer/stay on. We had two polls down but I was fairly happy to have got round and survived. Mission accomplished. 

But when we left the ring the nice judge pointed out my folly but offered us to enter into the championship class, same course starting almost immediately. 

Well I survived one round, and they were low on numbers. Why the hell not.

In we went for round two, boyed by surviving round one I took the hand break off a bit more, at the 5th fence Sofie was jumping so enthusiastically that we very VERY nearly parted company. I think this is the closest I have ever come to falling off sof. I landed in an unceremonious heap on her neck and understandably she did a bit of a bronk in protest. Thankfully she heard my pleas for help and stopped and allowed me to get re-seated. Hand break firmly put back on, well at least I tried to have the hand break on, but now sof knew the course and was determined to win! So we compromised, a couple of fences at speed and a couple of pauses for me to breath/get re-seated. It wasn't the performance of a Whittiker but amazingly it was good enough and we won! 

Hurray victory, first time I have won anything since I was 11. OK fair play Sofie won this one, I just clung on for dear life. 

We got a lovely red rosett and winners sash and a bottle of prosecco. I had to leave the prosecco with Clara with the promise we would catch up and drink it next time we saw each other. We did very much enjoy our ride home, soaking up the glory of championship pony. 

Sofie really is the best!

Video can be seen here




















No comments:

Post a Comment