Thursday 19 March 2015

Low grade laminitis

A hoof with stress rings, classic
sign of low grade laminitis
The grass is always greener on the other side, or so thought Sofie. By the end of January Sofie was clearly getting fed up with the quality of the grass in her field and started to admire the lawn in her neighbours side of the fence. One poxy electric fence (which did not seem to be turned on) was all that stood in her way. This is not much of an obstacle for a hungry haffy. Clearly her stomark got the better of her and she repeatedly invaded the field next door, I think she was quite pleased with herself. Unfortunately the yard owner was less impressed and after the third attempt to fix the fence was obliterated, Sofie got banished, to another field with better fencing.

Sofie was distraught. Firstly the fence would not be knocked over, secondly there was very little grass in the field and thirdly (and most upsetting) was her bbf was still in her old friend with the devious Sky who would most likely try to steal her. 

Prior to this episode Sofie was still fairly rotund. She had gone all winter with nothing but poor grass and no rugs but Haflingers are designed to live on fresh air so she still hadn't lost much weight.
Skinny Sofie post seperation

Sofie was banished for a whole week whilst the fence was fixed properly and the electric current was restored. She spent the week pacing the fence and staring longingly at her friends. I don't think she ate at all. Her ample fat served her well as she must have used this to survive. By the end of the week she had lost a frightening amount of weight. At first I was pleased, throughout the summer it was like riding a waterbed she was so fat. Shedding the weight would be much healthier for her.

But I think that week may have had a terrible impact on her digestive system.

Tucked up stance Sof was displaying
When she went back into her normal field with her beloved Serenade she started eating again. I noticed she seemed very stiff and a bit sore. She was looking uncomfortable in the field, standing with her hind feet tucked up underneath her. A week later she came in clearly lame, hopping in the school and weight shifting on her back legs when standing on the yard. Her back feet were VERY hot. 

I was really worried. Had she got foot abscesses brewing? I got a farrier to check her out and he could not find anything. His conclusion foot sore. She was put into a stable overnight, much to her horror, to see if being out of the wet would help.

After a sleepless night I returned the next day with her owner. We discovered a very angry but sound horse. The heat had gone and she was charging round on the lunge. How peculiar. I got my trimmer to take a look. She found a slight pulse in her feet and noted that her coronary bands were quite spongy. She suspected low grade laminitis.
It is unusual for horses to get laminitis in their back feet but not unheard of. The grass was not particularly good, but stressed grass can be known to trigger laminitis. Anxiety has also been shown to trigger laminitis. it is possible this is the cause of Sofies sore feet.

Hmmm what to d? I couldn't keep her in, she would destroy the stable and get stressed which would not help. There was only one thing for it - a grazing muzzle. I had bought one for Mr T last year to help with his weight. Mr T responded by smacking his head against a tree for a solid hour in an attempt to destruct the Hannibal lector mask. Mr T is the most stubborn and determined git at times. Fearing concussion I relented and never put it on again. It had sat gathering dust for the past year. Needless to say I was worried about putting Sofie into it. With a heavy heart I attached the muzzle to her head. 

She took it all in her stride amazingly. She soon learnt how to guzzle hay through it and had no problem drinking. She doesn't even protest when I put it on.

Her feet are a lot better, and her weight is keeping in control. I am fairly confident she does have problems digesting sugar though I have not had it confirmed by a vet.it would explain why her feet were so bad last summer and why she kept loosing shoes. Time will tell I guess. 

This episode has made me far more determined to monitor and control her weight. I have signed her up for a laminitic study CARE (and Mr T as well as they need healthy controls) I have teamed up with my friend who also has a chunky horse to make a pony fat club. We have weekly weigh ins and are  recording our progress.  We will be working on a fitness plan as soon as the clocks go back and evening riding becomes possible. oh dear, I am starting to sound more and more like a barefoot hippy. Here I am talking about diet and exercise and using a muzzle. I really do think it is for her best interest though, however much Sofie will disagree.

Poor Sofie, I think she will miss the carefree days of last summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment