Monday 3 August 2015

Slipping saddles and soundness issues

Sof and her wonky saddle
Today we had Louise out the check Sofs saddle. Amazingly her back is very similar to her February measurements, but her GP rides all wrong. The saddle constantly slips to the left, it always has, and when I ride in it I get a sore back. Experience tells me that if my back is sore most likely my horses back is as well. I just don't think it is comfortable for us.

I brought Sofie out to show Louise and she was fairly horrified to see how much it sat to the left. After checking the tree and the flocking Louise felt that Sofie was the one causing it to go left. I really respect Louise's opinion, she was the first to spot Tonto's arthritis in his hocks and has always given sound advice. She said she didn't want to alarm me but often saddle slips are caused by underlying mild lameness.

This makes a lot of sense.  Sof takes forever to warm up, does not like to bend or extend, and spent last summer notify uneven. Her right shoulder is much bigger than her left and she holds tension in her neck. I think the problem is in her left hind. Louise pointed out that she tends to stand with it tucked under her body, and thinking about it she is more snatch with her right hind, as if she does not want to stand on the left hind.

So what to do? Well of course I will let her owners know, but I think it is so slight it would not come up on a vet check. She seems fine at the level of work I am asking of her at but might limit what do in the future. Still we were never planning on eventing so probably not really an issue. I guess all I can do is monitor her. Most horses are ever-so-slightly lame, I don't think this is a massive problem but worth being aware of.

Louise is going to see what she can do with the flocking and straps to counter the saddle slip. Just as well we have her flexed in the mean time.

On a different note I was very touched to see Sof refused to be lead away from me today. Yay she does love me after all 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment